Contact

Should we be covering something? Email us your ideas, rumours or comments.

Fine Gael Put Up FF-looking Anti-FF Posters

Read more about: Fianna Fail, Fine Gael     Print This Post

The cheeky chappies in Fine Gael have been stealing Irish Election’s thunder by doing some moratorium busting of their own. I travel through Dublin city every day, from west to east and north to south and didn’t spot one of the posters below until today. However Adam Maguire informed me via Twitter that they have been around since yesterday.

Cheeky Fine Gael Posters

I suspect they went up late yesterday, probably just after the last commercial radio show of the day – thus avoiding the moratorium on radio shows today. It’s the type of thing that The Late Debate wouldn’t lower themselves to – too entertaining – but it would make good fodder for Fianna Fáil vs Fine Gael on the The Last Word or The Right Hook had there been nothing to bust today. I wonder if this tactic is actually legal, surely Fianna Fáil have copyright on their own logo and could thus sue Fine Gael for misrepresentation. Any barristers or solicitors reading? Simon? Aoife? Care to fill us in? Is this illegal or just cheeky?

Share and Enjoy:
  • digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati
  • Furl
  • blogmarks
  • del.icio.us
  • YahooMyWeb
  • Linkter
  • Spurl
  • NewsVine
  • Netscape
  • Reddit
  • TailRank

8 Responses to “Fine Gael Put Up FF-looking Anti-FF Posters”

1. # Comment by Keith Jun 4th, 2009 20:06

Well, it’s probably a breach of trademark (presuming the FF logo is trademarked). Putting them on a bridge is definitely illegal. They also don’t have the name of the printer & publisher, which is also illegal (Offences Against the State Act & Electoral Acts).

They started going up yesterday (Thursday) morning. I saw one around 9am at St Stephen’s Green. http://mypict.me/2lGX

2. # Comment by Cathal Jun 4th, 2009 21:06

Even better was going out to airport this evening and seen A4 printed sheets plastered onto Eoin Ryan’s Jobs sign posters (covering the text about jobs), one caption was ‘Protecting my job’ other was ‘we f*cked it all up’ plus others i can’t remember

3. # Comment by WorldbyStorm Jun 4th, 2009 22:06

That’s a big no no if there’s no printers/publishers mark. Are you sure there isn’t? That could cause serious problems for them…

4. # Comment by Keith Jun 4th, 2009 23:06

I looked closely. I suppose it’s possible it was in such tiny lettering that I couldn’t see it, but at the time I didn’t know it was an FG poster, so I was trying to work out who *had* printed it.

5. # Comment by Colm Jun 5th, 2009 06:06

There is a nasty dirty tricks element in the last couple of days of the campaign. The last minute postering by Fine Gael and the attempt to tie Enda Kenny to Sinn Fein by FF/Greens.

Of the two the use of imitation Fianna Fail posters actually strikes me as more amateurish. It’s like something you would see on the final day of a Student Union election by someone running a campaign for the first time. They went up AFTER the moratorium which limits their impact as at this point there are so many posters up around the place no one reads them any more. Personally I think after the first week of an election the roads are so cluttered posters are more about engraining name recognition than communicating a message. Had they gone up a week ago it would have sparked a row in the media about the use of logos but it would have been easy for Fine Gael representatives to position the discussions on radio and TV about the truth of the message rather than the use of the logo. Instead by putting them up yesterday no one noticed them outside the politically active who already have their minds made up.

6. # Comment by Daithí Jun 5th, 2009 09:06

In fact, this is unlikely to engage trademark law, as it is not ‘in the course of trade’ as required by the Act!

I’d be very surprised if there was no name of printer etc – it’s probably buried in the smallest possible type. That’s the normal modus op. for negative ads and it’s a major screw-up if that hasn’t been done..

7. # Comment by Kevin Jun 5th, 2009 09:06

It really shows why both Fianna Fail and Fine Gael need to go. Yes both of them. As far back as I can remember (and I am in my 40s), these two parties have continually resorted to this childish tweedledum tweedledee squabbling no mater which is in opposition or government.
    Is it not time we got new mature grown up parties ?
    I wonder why I bother to vote sometimes when I see this kind of nonsense.

8. # Comment by Emmet Jun 5th, 2009 11:06

Not saying it has anything to do with Fine Gael, but I spotted this addition to a whole bunch of Eoin Ryan posters along the North Quays this morning: http://twitpic.com/6nvx2